Panhellenic recruitment is the process where women who are interested in joining one of our 8 social sororities on campus explore their options. There are two types of recruitment: formal and continuous open bidding (COB). Formal recruitment takes place in January prior to the start of classes. COB occurs after the conclusion of formal recruitment and takes place year-round. Both options are a great way of learning about the organizations, however the majority of women go through formal recruitment.
Requirements for Membership
- One semester of college credit
- Cumulative 2.5 GPA (collegiate)
- Please note: these are Wake Forest University minimum GPA requirements; individual organizations may require more credit hours and/or a higher GPA.
- Must not have initiated into an NPC sorority or have pledged an NPC sorority since the prior recruitment period
- Completed application (formal recruitment only)
- Submission of application fee (formal recruitment only)
Spring 2016 Formal Sorority Recruitment Registration
Important Information –
Registration opens on Friday, Oct 23, 2015 at midnight. To register, follow the link below.
Registration closes on Sunday, Nov 15, 2015 at 11:59 pm.
Women who register for Formal Sorority Recruitment will have a PNM Assembly on Thursday, Nov 19, 2015 at 8:00pm in the Brendle Auditorium (Guest Speaker to be announced).
2016 Recruitment Dates
Formal Sorority Recruitment is an opportunity for all second semester freshmen, upperclassmen and transfer students to explore membership in the Panhellenic Council sororities. Over the course of 5 days, potential new members (PNMs) will visit with each chapter. At the end of each day, the PNMs make selections to narrow their options while the chapters do the same. This process is known as mutual selection and uses a computer system to generate matches and schedules. Each morning, PNMs receive their schedule for the day from the Gamma Rho Chis (Greek Recruitment Counselors or GRCs). The GRCs serve as mentors throughout the process, remaining disassociated from their chapters throughout fall semester and formal recruitment to provide unbiased advice and support. The fee to go through formal recruitment is $135 and covers early move in costs.
Eligibility – To participate in formal recruitment, PNMs must meet the qualifications listed above.
Returning to Campus –
Current Active Chapter Members
The residence halls will open at 9am on Tuesday, Jan 5, 2016 for all current active chapter members.
Students Participating in Formal Sorority Recruitment
The residence halls will open at 9am on Wednesday, Jan 6, 2016 for all students returning to participate in sorority recruitment. All PNMs must return to campus by 5pm on Jan 7, 2015. The first event of Formal Sorority Recruitment will be that evening at 5:30 pm (check Timeline for details).
The halls will not be open prior to Jan 6 at 9am. If you need to return earlier, you will need to find your own lodging (i.e. local hotel, friend’s apartment) and transportation.
Timeline & Recruitment Schedule –
- Thursday, Oct 22 – Sorority Meet & Greet, drop in from 5-7pm, The Barn – a casual event for women who are considering sorority recruitment to come out, learn more about the process, and meet the chapters (not required)
- Sunday, Nov 15 – Deadline to Register for Recruitment (required)
- Thursday, Nov 19 – PNM Assembly, 8pm, Brendle Recital Hall, Staples Art Center – come meet your GRC and learn more about the recruitment process (required – send excuses to Emily Bandyk)
- Wednesday, Jan 6 – Halls open at 9am for PNMs to move back to campus (required)
- Wednesday, Jan 6 – PNM Welcome Meeting, 5:30pm-6:30pm, Brendle Auditorium (required – send excuses to Emily Bandyk)
- Thursday, Jan 7 – Day 1, Slideshow
- 11:00 AM – 11:40 AM Event #1
- 11:55 AM – 12:35 AM Event #2
- 12:50 AM – 1:30 PM Event #3
- 1:45 PM – 2:25 PM Event #4
- 2:40 PM – 3:20 PM Lunch Break
- 3:35 PM – 4:15 PM Event #5
- 4:30 PM – 5:10 PM Event #6
- 5:25 PM – 6:05 PM Event #7
- 6:20 PM – 7:00 PM Event #8
- Friday, Jan 8 – Day 2, Philanthropy
- 11:30 AM – 12:15 PM Event #1
- 12:30 PM – 1:15 PM Event #2
- 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM Event #3
- 2:15 PM – 3:15 PM Lunch Break
- 3:15 PM – 4:00 PM Event #4
- 4:15 PM – 5:00 PM Event #5
- 5:15 PM – 6:00 PM Event #6
- Saturday, Jan 9 – Day 3, Skit Day
- 11:30 AM-12:30 PM Event #1
- 12:45 PM – 1:45 PM Event #2
- 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM Event #3
- 3:15 PM – 4:15 PM Event #4
- Sunday, Jan 10 – Day 4, Preference Night
- 3:30 PM – 4:30 PM Event #1
- 4:45 PM – 5:45 PM Event #2
- 4:30 PM – 7:00 PM Preference Card Signing
- Monday, Jan 11 – Day 5
- 3:30 PM BID DAY!
PNM Recruitment Booklet – This booklet is given to all Potential New Members prior to the recruitment process. It includes information about sorority recruitment, such as profiles of each participating sorority, an overview of the week, tips on what to wear and pages for taking notes. PNMs are encouraged to bring these booklets with them each day so they can keep track of their schedules and notes.
Dining Options for Recruitment – Dining Services operates an abbreviated schedule during winter break and into sorority recruitment. Please prepare for limited options for dining on campus.
View Campus Dining Hours of Operation
SHS Winter Break Schedule – Student Health Services will not be open until 8:30AM on January 12th. SHS provides a variety of recommendations for off campus resources during the winter break on their website at: Off Campus Health Service Options
Parents’ Page FAQs – Parent Programs collects an annual list of frequently asked questions about sorority recruitment and publishes them through the Daily Deac.
2015 Parent/Guardian Letter – This letter was sent to all parents/guardians with active emails submitted on the recruitment registration form.
Parking Information – This document outlines parking rules during the week of sorority recruitment.
Continuous Open Bidding
Chapters are permitted to recruit up to a designated number voted upon annually by the Panhellenic Council. Chapters with available membership spots can take members continually throughout the year until they fill these spots. When we become aware of these organizations, we will post this information here.
Timeline – In the fall, bids can be distributed beginning the first Monday after the start of classes. In the spring, bids can be distributed immediately following the conclusion of formal recruitment. There are deadlines also established for when final bids must be given. These dates for a specific semester can be found on our Important Dates page.
Process – To fill open membership spots, chapters can extend bids in a variety of ways, whether that means hosting a COB event or just communicating directly with a potential new member (PNM). Bids can be offered at any time from the start of COB to the deadline for final bids. A PNM can receive multiple bids or no bids. While registering for COB is not required, the Panhellenic Council is happy to provide the contact information of any interested women to chapters that have available membership spots. If you would like to be contacted by a chapter, please submit a COB Interest Form. Similarly, when the Panhellenic Council is made aware of chapter’s hosting COB events, this information will be distributed to anyone who has submitted this form. There is no registration fee associated with COB.
Eligibility – To be eligible to join a chapter through COB, students must meet the same criteria listed above.
Participating Chapters –
- Spring 2016 – will be determined in January 2016
- Fall 2016 – will be determined in August 2016
Recommendation Letter Information
Recommendation letters are not required for joining a sorority. However, if you would like to send a recommendation on behalf of a potential new member, please use the addresses listed here.
Should you have any questions concerning the recruitment process, please contact one of the following individuals or Student Engagement at (336) 758-7168.
Vice President for Membership, Panhellenic Council
Director, Fraternity and Sorority Life
Graduate Assistant, Fraternity and Sorority Life